Celestron has reinvented the manual telescope with StarSense Explorer LT 70AZ —the first telescope that uses your smartphone to analyze the night sky and calculate its position in real time. StarSense Explorer is ideal for beginners thanks to the app’s user-friendly interface and detailed tutorials. It’s like having your own personal tour guide of the night sky.
- Unleash the power of your smartphone to take you on a guided tour of the night sky—no telescope experience required.
- Patent-pending StarSense sky recognition technology uses your smartphone to analyze star patterns overhead and calculate its position in real time. Check phone compatibility here.
- StarSense Explorer app automatically generates a list of objects currently visible. View planets, brighter nebulae and galaxies, star clusters, and double stars from the city. Or take your telescope to darker skies to view faint, deep sky objects.
- Manual altazimuth mount with smooth, dual-axis slow-motion controls makes it easy to follow the on-screen arrows to your desired target. When the bullseye turns green, it’s ready to view in the telescope’s eyepiece.
- 70mm refractor with fully coated glass optics for bright, sharp views.
- Includes 25mm and 10mm eyepieces, 2x Barlow Lens, StarSense smartphone dock, erect image diagonal, a red dot finderscope (in case you want to use the telescope without your phone), and a full-height tripod.
Dock, Launch, Explore
Leave complicated star charts, imprecise planetarium apps, and computerized mounts behind. With StarSense Explorer LT 70AZ, locating objects has never been easier, faster, or more accurate. Within minutes of setting up the telescope, you’ll be navigating the sky with confidence. Simply place your phone in the unique StarSense dock and launch the StarSense Explorer app. After aligning your phone to the telescope’s optics (a quick, 2-minute procedure), StarSense Explorer generates a list of celestial objects currently visible. Make your selection and arrows appear onscreen, guiding you as you to move the telescope. When the object is ready to view, the bullseye turns green.
StarSense Explorer LT 70AZ works with most modern smartphones, including iPhone 6 and up and most devices running Android 7.1.2 or later manufactured since 2016.
Patent-Pending StarSense Sky Recognition Technology
StarSense Explorer LT 70AZ uses patent-pending technology and your smartphone to determine exactly where the telescope is pointed in the night sky. A Lost in Space Algorithm (LISA), like the ones satellites use in orbit to correctly reorient themselves, helps the app match star patterns it detects overhead to its internal database.
While other astronomy apps may claim that they can help you find objects, they rely exclusively on the phone’s gyros and accelerometers, which aren’t as accurate as LISA technology. No other app can accurately tell you when your target is visible in the eyepiece.
Sturdy Altazimuth Mount
StarSense Explorer LT’s simple altazimuth mount makes it easy to move the telescope to find your target. A slow-motion altitude adjustment knob helps you fine tune the telescope’s pointing position and follow targets as they appear to drift across the night sky. It’s all anchored by an adjustable, full-height tripod.
Dazzling Views with High Quality Optics
You can expect sharp, bright views through this 70mm refractor. Fully coated glass optics provide increased light transmission, enhancing details in celestial objects. The telescope also includes a 90-degree erect image diagonal, so you can use it during the day to view birds, wildlife, landscapes, and more.
Perfect for the City or Dark Sky Sites
Even if you live in a light polluted city location, StarSense Explorer is advanced enough to be able to pick out Jupiter, Saturn, Venus, the Orion Nebula, double stars, and a few more of the most famous celestial objects.
But if you can take the telescope to an even slightly darker location, more objects will become visible. The entire telescope kit weighs just 7.4 pounds, so it’s perfectly portable and easy to bring on your next camping trip or to a remote observing site.
|Focal Length of Eyepiece 1||25mm|
|Focal Length of Eyepiece 2||10mm|
|Barlow Lens||2x (1.25″)|
|Finderscope||StarPointer™ red dot finderscope|
|Star Diagonal||Erect image 90° (1.25″)|
|Highest Useful Magnification||165x|
|Lowest Useful Magnification||10x|
|Limiting Stellar Magnitude||11.7|
|Resolution (Rayleigh)||1.99 arc seconds|
|Resolution (Dawes)||1.66 arc seconds|
|Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye)||100x|
|Optical Coatings||Fully-Coated glass optics|
|Optical Tube Length||812.8mm|
|Optical Tube Diameter||76mm|
|Optical Tube Weight||1.63 kg|
|Mount Type||Manual Alt-Azimuth|
|Height adjustment range (includes mount and tripod)||Aluminum, 1320.8mm max height|
|Tripod Leg Diameter||31.75mm steel|
|Tripod Weight||1.72 kg|
|GPS||Uses phone’s GPS|
|Dovetail Compatibility||CG-5 Dovetail bar|
|Power Requirements||None (Recommend PowerTank Glow to keep phone charged while using app)|
|Alignment Procedures||Use StarSense Explorer app|
|Software||StarSense Explorer app | SkyPortal app | Celestron Starry Night Basic Edition Software|
|Total Kit Weight||3.35 kg|
|Included Items||Telescope tube | Mount/tripod (preassembled) | 25mm & 10mm eyepieces | Erect image diagonal | 2x Barlow lens | StarPointer finderscope | Accessory tray | StarSense Explorer phone dock|
In The Box
When you unbox your new StarSense Explorer LT, you’ll find:
- 70mm refractor optical tube
- StarSense dock for your smartphone
- Low powered (25mm) and high powered (10mm) eyepiece
- 2x Barlow lens to double the power of each eyepiece
- 90-degree erect image diagonal
- StarPointer red dot finderscope, perfect for using the telescope during the day or without the StarSense Explorer app
- Altazimuth mount with slow motion control rod
- Full-height tripod with an accessory tray to keep you organized
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.